Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dreams

Sunday morning in the fall. The day you want to wake up gently, look out the window dreamily, lay back in bed for five minutes, and then start your day. Didn't happen. Instead, I found myself waking up dazed at my incredibly weird dream. Could be that I couldn't sleep last night until around 3am. Could be that I recently watched several episodes of a tv series (now cancelled--no surprise) and ended on the episode with the vampire ventriliquist dummies. (So many things wrong with that!)

Regardless, in my dream they were going to turn Patricia Brigg's "Preying for Mercy" book into a t.v. series and I was going to be on it. But realistically, I told myself, I couldn't be one of the werewolves. I'd be a bit tiny. Who'd fear that? "Ooh, what a cute little wolf. She's so sweet. Who wants the bone?" Grrrr. Just thinking about it would get someone's hackles up. If they had hackles. So, no, not a werewolf. But there are only so many characters a show can focus on.

And of course, because it was my dream I was absolutely certain I'd be a main character. (Could this be a mental echo from setting up a blog or getting on facebook? Deep down you must be at least a little narcissistic if you think someone wants to actually read what you have to say each week.) This leaves vampires. But even in my dream, I knew I'm not the vampire type. I mean besides the fair skin. Otherwise...uberbeautiful in an exotic, runway model sort've way? Nope. Super tall? Nope. Accent? Nope. Not unless you count the occasional slip into the weird blend of east coast/west coast/Rocky Mountain states that I have going. Oh well. It's a dream. Go with it.

I was going to be a vampire. Not just any vampire. THE head vampire. And because in the dream her character had a brother and in real life I have a brother, in my dream I thought, 'Great, my brother can play that character and we'll actually look like brother and sister.' (I didn't notice my dad shaving his mustache off, but I did think of this. My logic is spotty today at best.)

I can't tell you what happened from there because the dream shifted after that. I was late for a movie. It was 8:15pm. I still hadn't changed. But, at least I had almost located mascara. (Weird the dreams you have as the economy continues to tumble. Am I subconsciously concerned with shortages? I AM almost out of mascara.) I'd gone across the street to where Cougar Dental used to be located south of campus to two different salons. The first had no black mascara. It did have glittery mascara. White glitter. Blue glitter. Light brown glitter. Blonde glitter. And my eyelashes were strangely about 1 1/2 inches long. I asked about black glitter mascara. Nope. But I knew they were going to take that idea and make millions. The second salon had nothing. I turned back, almost frantic, and made my way back to my second story apartment. And there, at the base of the spiral, wooden staircase was another small store. It had mascara for $1.85. I ran up the stairs to get cash and that's when I realized it was 8:15pm and I still hadn't changed my clothes or put the mascara on. Then I woke up.

No wonder I have a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment