Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Death Knell of Titles

Have you noticed how no one calls each other Mr. and Ms. anymore? Or brother or sister? It's always, 'johnny', 'deb', or even 'hey dude' no matter how old someone is in comparison to you or how much more advanced up the company ladder they are. Even the boss doesn't want to be referred to with a title anymore. It's like Queen Elizabeth wants you to just call her Liza or Betty. And it frankly trips me out.

Take my new job for exammple. Yesterday the regional boss came in. I had to ask her a question via e-mail and started it out 'ms...' She laughed out loud and then came over to find out if I had meant to call her that or just forgotten her name. Apparently, my parents were the last people on earth to teach kids to never call an adult or boss by their first name. And that's too bad. Because truthfully, I think people are better off with a bit of formality.

But I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment