Monday, April 26, 2010

Superhero in Training

Every couple of weeks now I go to the state capital for job training. The last time I went to the state capital I was in highschool and it was for a band competition. I remember it was hot and dry and kind've boring. But this go-around I have something to keep me occupied. Cousins.

This is a set of cousins who are much younger than me (by 10-20 years) and I grew up not knowing them at all. But while I'm down here, my aunt and uncle are letting me crash at their place (thank you!). So far I have learned that caramel, chocolate, and sprinkled covered pretzel sticks are REALLY sugary (and hard to chew); 17 year old girls don't eat chocolate cake in front of you; 11 year old boys will tell you just about everything; and cousins are cool.

This week, we are going to make popcorn balls (though I will have to call home for the recipe). Did you ever do this as a kid? SO much fun. Sticky, hot, messy. Fun. We are also going to hide jellybeans (I hope my aunt remembers she said we could). Growing up, this was a favorite at my house. Some of us were allergic to eggs, so we hid jellybeans instead. The good news: if you don't find them, it doesn't matter because they don't rot. The bad news: if you don't find them now, you find them ten years later and debate with yourself over whether you could still eat them. ;)

We hid jellybeans everywhere and so homes with lots of stuff are the best. (By stuff read: knick knacks with lots of color). Those small plastic grapes: perfect hiding place. The silk flower arrangement? Always a good choice. And the smaller the jellybean, the greater the challenge. Having been trained by a Jellybean Master, I find myself in the unusual position of being at the top of skills game. Which is important because my Aunt's house is done in lots and lots of neutrals, creams, and white. (With that many kids, why?) Oh well, I'll have to convince them to let me hide them in the bedrooms. (Yes, good luck with that, I know.) But, we'll see what happens.

Enjoy your week. And remember, no matter how bad it gets, jellybeans make it better.

1 comment:

  1. Well, National Jelly Bean Day was April 22nd, so why not hide jelly beans. I mean, shouldn't we celebrate holidays--especially ones involving sugar and gifts.

    ReplyDelete