Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Deanna Carter Curse

You know how sometimes you have a favorite song, something that everytime you hear it, something lucky happens? I have that. Only in reverse. Every time (and yes, I do mean EVERY time) I hear a song by Deanna Carter, the following string of events happen.
1. I meet a guy.
2. I like said guy.
3. Things start out swimmingly.
4. Things turn disastrous.
5. My heart is broken.
6. I slowly recover.
7. I am a-okay, happy with life, and everything is going well.
8. I hear Deanna Carter on the radio.
9. Cycle repeats itself.

(okay, maybe not quite so extreme)

I noticed this Deanna Carter curse in college. It started because I bought the cd and listened to it. Bebopping around like a typical college student. And then I got a boyfriend and I listened to the cd all the time b/c it just matched the mood. Then we broken up. And I couldn't listen to the cd for awhile b/c it reminded me of everything. Eventually, however, things were fine and I was ready to listen to Deanna. So I did. Bebopping around. Met another guy. Same thing. Eventually, I realized that maybe it was, in fact, the listening to Deanna Carter that triggered the demise of the relationship. I began to test the theory, as all sociologists do. Sure enough, I was right.

After that, I did the only logical thing I could do. I gave the cd away. (Of course, eventually, in an odd moment of defiance against fate, I bought another copy. Cycle ensued again. Now it stays in my cd collection, gathering dust.) But that didn't stop it. At the end of my mission, I drove to Montana, drove back to Oregon. On my way, I began thinking about one guy in particular and randomly, the Deanna Carter song 'Strawberry Wine' came on. I knew it was doomed. Sure enough, it did. Happened one other time while living in Montana. And just this weekend, while in Montana in a used book store, Deanna Carter's Strawberry Wine came on. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. The song hit me full blast with its love curse rays. And I just took it.

So, stay tuned to see if the cycle repeats or if, at last, my superpowers have finally triumphed over the power of one country singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment